HOME
Home page


ABOUT WHITESTONE
Whitestone history, Whitstone, famous people


CLUBS & GROUPS
Details of all Clubs, Groups & Societies


CHURCH
St Catherine's Church history


PARISH COUNCIL
Parish Council minutes & who's who


LOCAL INFORMATION
Recycling, Bus timetable, weather EX4


PARISH HALL
Details of the Parish Hall - Booking, hire, history


LOCAL BUSINESSES
Contacts for local businesses


MAGAZINE ARCHIVE
Parish magazine archive


MAP
Where is Whitestone Devon


VIDEO
Video extract of Whitestone 2000


LINKS
Web links for easy access


WHAT'S ON
Web links for easy access


CONTACT US
Details of how to contact us
PANTOMIME
Whitestone pantomime


FETE 2018
Whitestone Fete 2017

Whitestone Road sign

Whitestone Parish Council

DRAFT Minutes of Whitestone Parish Council held at Whitestone Parish Hall on Thursday 14th June 2018 at 7.30pm to be ratified on 12th July 2018.

Attendance:
Chairman ‐ Councillor L Hickman
Councillors Ms T Baird, Mrs M Belt, Mrs L Fairley, Mrs B Netherway, R Phillips, A Reed, A Rose
Mrs P Vaughan, Clerk to the Council.
Mr N Thoms, Mrs L Hickman, Mrs S Greenfield, Mrs M Dyer, Ms L Dyer

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Mrs Greenfield gave an update on the Parish Action Plan:- “As discussed with the Parish Council last month, Vicky, Marion and Sheila are leading a Parish Action Plan Drop In Day on Saturday 14th July at the Parish Hall from 14.30 to 20.00 hours. There will be free refreshments (tea, coffee and cakes in the afternoon, with wine and nibbles in the early evening).

We hope that parishioners will drop in for a chat and let us know what they would like to do to help carry out the Parish Action Plan. Any and all offers of help (large/small) will be really appreciated.

We are happy to talk through anything related to the Parish Action Plan and put the actions in context for new parishioners. This event will be advertised in the Parish Magazine, on the Whitestone website, on notice boards and via the Parish email list etc. Please let others know of this event. We hope to see you all there”.

Mr Thom said he was in attendance regarding his planning application which was on the agenda this evening and also in regard to his application to Devon County Council to undertake minor highways works within the parish.

Cllr Hickman opened the meeting and the Minutes of the Council Meeting held on Thursday 10th May 2018 having been circulated were taken as read with it being pointed out that Cllr Baird had sent her apologies subsequently and signed as a true copy by the Chairman

PLANNING

Planning applications were examined and discussed and the subsequent observations were confirmed to be relayed to Teignbridge District Council.

18/00971/FUL Two storey side extension at The Old Forge, Whitestone. The meeting was opened to allow Mr Thom to give explanations regarding his application which was supported.

Mr Thom then requested that he be allowed to explain his application to enter the Community Road Warden Scheme as he had concerns regarding the potholes situation within the Parish and with his knowledge and expertise he felt that he could carry out some of the work required. He understands that he will have to undertake Chapter 8 Training and will liaise with Devon County to arrange the loan of equipment (if needed) and to seek advice and assistance from them as appropriate. He will be grateful if the Parish Council will communicate any pothole information to him and he will then subsequently confirm that no work is imminent by Devon County before undertaking any repairs. Cllr Hickman thanked Mr Thom for volunteering for this Scheme and Mr Thom left the meeting at 7.50pm.

The Council then continued with the planning applications as follows:-

18/01037/FUL Two light industrial units at Derek Lane & Co, Tedburn Road. Discussed but not supported owing to the access to this site onto a road carrying speeding vehicles. It was felt that extensions to this site were inappropriate as it is stated to be a “Business Park” and not a sole operation. Therefore it should not be extended in a Parish designated as having “great landscape value” in a rural environment when there are established business parks within reasonable distance with the appropriate access infrastructure.

18/00959/FUL Demolition of existing outbuilding and erection of double garage, workshop and storage building at Way Farm, Whitestone. Discussed but not supported because of lack of clear information with comparison of original building and proposal. In addition it was felt that there was a need for clarification of improving “off street parking” as there does not appear to be any highways in the vicinity of the proposal. It was not clear if the building for demolition had any historical interest.

18/00599/FUL Dwelling at Upper Kingswell Farm, Holcombe Burnell. Comments required following receipt of additional plans. Discussed and supported

Grant of conditional planning permission

18/00482/FUL Agricultural building and re-surfacing of access track on land adjacent to The Old Chapel.

18/00566/FUL Use of field for equestrian use including erection of new stable block, sand riding arena and

grazing area at Chapel Cottage.

Grant of request for prior approval

18/00644/NPA Application for Prior Approval under Part 3 Class Q (a) and (b) and paragraph W of the GDPO change of use of agricultural buildings to two dwellings at Styles Barton Farm.

18/00741/NPA Application for Prior Approval under Part 3 Class Q (a) and (b) and paragraph W of the GDPO change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling at Oak Tree Farm.

MATTERS FOR DISCUSSION

School Houses

Cllr Reed reported that the fences at both houses had been repaired. The Clerk reported that the Letting Agents had organised work at No 2 School Houses which had included a PAT Test and also a repair to a Mira Shower.

Crossway Park

Cllr Rose reported repairs to the football nets. It was stated that the hedges needed cutting and this will be organised shortly. Cllr Hickman thanked Cllrs Reed and Rose for their help in the removal of the old shed wall and Cllr Belt is organising for the removal of the brickwork in order for the new replacement shed to be installed as authorised at the May meeting.

Review of Standing Orders and Financial Regulations

As it is necessary that these are reviewed at regular intervals Cllr Hickman will be organising a meeting with Cllrs Rose and Munro (who had previously volunteered) to bring any proposals forward if necessary.

Parish Enhancements

Discussion took place regarding the following items and it was resolved that further enquiries take place and quotes should be obtained for the necessary work needed. Councillors acknowledged that the enhancements will need to work in conjunction with Parish Plan activities.

• Bus shelter improvements - ? painting and a bench on the grass area

• Bench and base for central grass area and flowers for bank
• Flower truggs for Whitestone signs

• Renovation and re-staining of noticeboards

• Natural species of flower bulbs for parishioners to plant

• Adult exercise equipment

Discussion followed regarding the installation of adult exercise equipment at Crossway Park. The meeting was opened to allow Mrs Hickman and Mrs Greenfield to make comments regarding the issue. The meeting was re-convened and it was agreed with some abstentions that quotes should be sought regarding the installation of this.

Road surface improvements ‐ Cllr Phillips spoke on the need for potholes to be filled and how he had personally completed some work in his area.

MATTERS RAISED BY THE CHAIRMAN

Cllr Hickman had held a meeting with three members of the Parish Hall Committee regarding the defibrillator which is housed at the Parish Hall. Further investigations with advice is being sought from S.W.A.S.T. regarding the implications of removing it to outside the Hall or any other appropriate place and he will be reporting back on this issue.

Following a complaint from parishioners regarding hedges within the parish their concerns were passed to Devon County Highways with a request that they investigate the problem. The coordinator of the concern was also advised to ask other concerned parishioners to contact Highways directly with individual expressions of concern. Cllr Hickman understands that action is being proposed.

As will have been noted the plough donated from Ruth and Paul Charles has now been installed on the milk stand near the bus stop area and Cllr Hickman expressed thanks to Cllr Reed for his assistance in this venture and to Henry Netherway for the loan of special tools. A plaque in memory of Robert V Netherway is being organised.

It has been reported that there will be some moving of large amounts of soil to Welwyn Farm in Tedburn St Mary Parish in the future. In view of the lorry traffic which this would necessitate possibly passing through Whitestone Parish. Cllr Hickman will be contacting Devon County regarding the issue.

FINANCE

Income

Teignbridge District Council 1st half year precept £3,060.00

HM Revenue and Customs VAT Repayment £1,185.51

1 School Houses rent to 29th June 2018 £675.00 - £64.80 (includes £10.80 VAT) = £610.20

2 School Houses rent to 1st July 2018 £800.00 ‐ £76.80 (includes £12.80 VAT) = £723.20

Expenditure

The following expenditure was proposed and seconded for payment. All in favour and the cheques were signed by Councillors Belt and Phillips.

Clerk’s expenses £86.86

A H Gilbert & Son £72.00 (includes £12 VAT) Work at 2 School House paid through Carter & Geering

CORRESPONDENCE

Devon Highways ‐ road patching at Halsfordwood Lane 26th to 28th June postponed from the 11th June.

Teignbridge Local Plan Review 2020-2040 Notification has been received of a consultation which will run until 5pm on 16th July to discuss this matter. Consultation documents and questionnaires can be viewed at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/localplanreview or you could attend a drop-in session at the John Bromell Room, Tedburn St Mary Village Hall on Wednesday 27th June from 12 noon to 8pm.

Following concerns being highlighted to the Parish Council the complaints were raised with Teignbridge District Council regarding the unacceptable practices of their recycling crews. In response a letter has been received stating that this matter is being investigated with the crews concerned being reminded of their standing instructions and warning that by failing to follow these instructions they leave themselves open to disciplinary action.

A previously stated at the beginning of the meeting Mr Thom has applied to undertake minor highway works within the Parish and the Devon County Highways Services have supplied an Agreement to be signed by the Parish Council and it was resolved that the Chairman should sign this document.

REPORTS

Cllr Phillips requested that Devon Highways be approached regarding the visibility splays within the parish which are very overgrown and of general concern regarding traffic movements.

Cllr Belt thanked the Council for her nomination to the Garden Party at Buckingham Palace which she had attended and fully enjoyed.

Cllr Fairley spoke of an incident concerning a motorbike and some horses which had occurred on the Tedburn Road. It was felt that speeding on this road was of concern and the near accident had been reported by a resident who gaining no response from a 101 call to the Police had taken the matter to a higher authority and as a result it was said that speed monitors would be placed on the road and Cllr Fairley will be following this matter up.

Cllr Hickman reported it had again come to his attention that some of the residents at the west side of the Parish were unhappy with the anti litter from cars campaign poster. As a resident in that area Cllr Rose agreed to explore the issues further before any action is taken.

The meeting closed at 9.35pm.