HOME
Home page


ABOUT WHITESTONE
Whitestone history, Whitstone, famous people


CLUBS & GROUPS
Details of all Clubs, Groups & Societies


CHURCH
St Catherine's Church history


PARISH COUNCIL
Parish Council minutes & who's who


LOCAL INFORMATION
Recycling, Bus timetable, weather EX4


PARISH HALL
Details of the Parish Hall - Booking, hire, history


LOCAL BUSINESSES
Contacts for local businesses


MAGAZINE ARCHIVE
Parish magazine archive


MAP
Where is Whitestone Devon


VIDEO
Video extract of Whitestone 2000


LINKS
Web links for easy access


WHAT'S ON
Web links for easy access


CONTACT US
Details of how to contact us
ENTERTAINMENTS
Whitestone Entertainments



Whitestone Parish Hall

Whitestone Parish Hall

COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, 8th MAY, 2017

MINUTES

Present: Dr J. Richards (Parochial Church Council) (Chairman), Dr Anna Kellagher (Church Hse. Ed. Fndt.) (Treasurer), Derek Fisher (Elected) (Secretary), Laurence Blades (Whitestone Players), Jock Kirkpatrick (Sports/Social Club), Carole Jones (Book Club), Mary Belt (Parish Council), Sandy Oxford (Elected), Irene Mathieson (Elected), Ron Bramhall (Gardening Club), Peter Hanson (Social Club), John Robinson (Elected), David Lee (Cuban Airwaves).

1. APOLOGIES

1.1 None

2. SIGNATURES OF ACCEPTANCE (REPRESENTATIVE MEMBERS)

2.1 Signatures received from Dr Jane Richards, Dr Anna Kellagher, Laurence Blades, Jock Kirkpatrick, Carole Jones, Mary Belt, Ron Bramhall, Peter Hanson, David Lee.

3. SIGNATURES OF ACCEPTANCE (ELECTED MEMBERS)

3.1 Signatures received from Derek Fisher, Sandy Oxford, Irene Mathieson, John Robinson.

4. ELECTION OF OFFICERS

4.1 Position Nominee

Chairman Dr Jane Richards

Vice Chairman Jock Kirkpatrick

Secretary Derek Fisher

Treasurer Dr Anna Kellagher

Deputy Treasurer John Robinson

4.2 Proposed MB, seconded CJ that officers as above be re−elected en bloc. All greed

5. ELECTION OF UP TO 3 MEMBERS TO STANDING SUB−COMMITTEE

5.2 Secretary advised that in addition to the Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and Parish Council representative, who are automatically members of the sub−committee, up to 3 additional members could be appointed to the sub−committee. Noted that present members were Jock Kirkpatrick, Peter Hanson and Sandy Oxford all of whom on proposal by MB, seconded JRo., were re−lected to the sub−committee.

6. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (22/2/2017)

6.1 Accepted as a true record, each page signed accordingly by the Chairman.

7. MATTERS ARISING (From Minutes of 22nd February)

7.1   87.1 Secretary confirmed that the Hearing Loop had been fitted and was operating very effectively. Noted that the Parish Council had donated some £1000 towards the project and £1250 has been received from Rural Aid resulting in the Committee only having to pay out some £450. JK was preparing instructions on the use of the equipment and these would be available shortly. However, it was noted that the batteries in the microphones seemed to run down rather quickly. JK was running tests but it seemed that re−chargeable batteries were not effective in the hand held mic.

7.2   87.2 Noted that restoration of the piano case was now booked for the 15th May. MB advised that the manufacture of the new cover was progressing. Noted that a small amount of money remained in the fund ring−fenced for the piano.Resolved that this would be used to pay for subsequent re−tuning.

7.3   87.4 JK had secured a 12 foot Christmas Tree and Chair thanked IM for donating quantity of Christmas decorations.

7.4   87.5 SO reported that she had obtained three quotations in respect of the proposed hall decoration. She felt unable to recommend the middle priced one. The most thorough but most expensive was for £3700 whilst the cheapest was just under £2000. Noted none of quotes included the woodwork. It was unclear if cheaper quote included all requirements. After discussion on need, agreed SO to re−check specification and confirm satisfaction by local customer of work undertaken for them. (Shillingford Parish Hall). If acceptable place order with cheapest quote. Also to obtain separate quote for Billiard Room ceiling. Sub−committee authorised to approve as required without recourse to full Committee but Sect. to keep all in touch via email.

7.5   87.10 Chair had researched and demonstrated a highly specialised method of drawing the main hall curtains which she was thinking of patenting. Committee felt we should first explore possibility of a draw string operation. Dr JR agreed to contact ASG and other suppliers.

7.6   88.3 & 88.6 Sect had written to Parish Council notifying our intention to carry out the 5 yearly full electrical testing in Summer 2018 in order to fit in with their financial year, in the hope that some financial support might be forthcoming.The Council had replied stating they considered that this was a matter for which the Committee themselves should be budgeting. In view of this Sect wished to bring forward the inspection, due in March 2018, to Christmas this year. Agreed

7.7   88.8 Sect. reminded those present that the Stage Tab Curtains had been repaired prior to the pantomime last year at a not inconsiderable expense. Since it was only the Players that used the curtains it was hoped their Committee might see fit to assist with the financial burden.

7.8   89.4 PH had resolved that Calor was currently £4 per cylinder cheaper for the supply of bottled gas and had ordered from them. No contract was involved, so we could shop around each time replacement bottles were needed.

7.9   93.1 Noted that initial quotation to box in the central heating pipes in plastic was £1,500. PH was refining a spec. and SO had been obtaining quotes to achieve the same in wood. Agreed three quotes to be obtained with a view to work being done in conjunction with the hall decoration. PH to oversee project.

7.10   93.6 Dr JR had yet to check (as a complaint) with supplier why fabric of chairs was not scotchguarded at point of supply. JK to be advised of response and authorised to buy cleaning fluid in bulk as testing with sample product did seem to work on less ingrained staining.

7.11   93.7 The question of a new covered rear porch was pending the result of advice from Mr Dave Brewer.

8. SECRETARY’S REPORT

8. 1 Quite a lot of bits and pieces had been achieved since the last meeting. RB had cleaned the Billiard Room carpet so thanks were due to him and CJ for the loan of the carpet cleaner. PH and JK had dealt with the flickering light outside the disabled toilet and fixed locks to the cleaner’s store, the table tennis table store and the disabled toilet itself. Following a couple of incidents, a new controller has been fitted to the overhead heaters in the Billiard Room and a closed circuit TV screen fitted permanently in the Extension. Undoubtedly PH and JK had done a number of other tasks for which the Sect. felt sure the Committee would wish to thank them, but these were the only tasks that he was aware of.

8.2 We now had sufficient lighting tubes to last for the next 12 years, a sanitary bin had been purchased for the stage toilet and we were looking to purchase radio controlled clocks, a pull down screen for the main hall, rubber cable covers for use where cables have to be trailed across the floor and a new large china teapot for the Kitchenette. We think we can save the old urn and are considering the possibility of fixing bicycle stands in the car park.

8.3 There had been a potentially serious incident in the kitchen as a result of saucepans slipping off the gas hob due to the grids having been replaced incorrectly. Dr J had taken the grids for additional supports to be welded, which should cure the potential problem, whichever way the grids are placed.

8.4 The Fire Alarm service due every six months had just been completed and the boiler service booked for this coming Wednesday morning. Sect. had been unable to attend the recent Annual Parish Meeting but a report had been submitted outlining the Committee’s achievements during 2016.

8.5 From the Bookings point of view the Thursday afternoon Art Group had cancelled all their meetings until September because of low numbers but in compensation the Sunday evening dance group had increased their number of sessions. Children’s parties remained our mainstay as far as bookings were concerned.

9. TREASURER’S REPORT

9.1 Noted that receipts to date this year were £7,965 with £587 due from outstanding invoices. Payments had amounted to £8,398 with our financial assets currently standing at £8,644

9.2 The final Npower bill has been paid and wages for the cleaner increased in line with the Minimum Living Wage. Agreed Sect. to write to thank Anthony Martin in recognition of his services as Independent Examiner.

9.3 At this point JK commented that the cleaner was continuing to do a really good job of keeping the hall clean and tidy and that she clearly took great pride in her work for which the Committee was most grateful. Agreed Sect. to write expressing the Committee’s thanks.

10. APPROVAL OF POLICY DOCUMENT NO 5 − HEALTH AND SAFETY

10.1 Noted that after consideration by the sub committee no recommendations were made for any changes to the existing Policy Document. Agreed.

10.2 Further noted that all matters raised in last year’s Health and Safety Inspection, had now been addressed and dealt with accordingly. A new inspection was due this year. Agreed to be undertaken by IM and Dr JR.

11. MATTERS RAISED BY REPRESENTATIVE ORGANISATIONS

11.1 CJ advised that she understood that the Art group would, hopefully, be restarting in September after suitable publicity.

11.2 DL advised that if Cuban Airwaves, and similar groups, were to benefit from the Hearing Loop system then a greater number of lapel type microphones would be necessary. Generally felt that the system was not ‘geared up’ to accommodate this type of activity but Sect. asked to make further enquiries of the supplier.

12. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

12.1 PH asked if the final Parish Plan document could be housed in the Green Room − Agreed

12.2 PH reported that the disabled toilet had recently been painted and looked much better though there was a little more work to be done there.

12.3 AK advised the meeting that sub−committee had agreed to two ‘hoop type’ bicycle stands being fixed in the car park adjacent to the present disabled parking spot. Agreed that two stands be purchased in galvanised steel at about £32 each unit. Stainless steel being twice as expensive and not necessary. Hoops would be concreted in rather than bolted.

12.4 JK reported that he was still looking at ways of illuminating the second Parish Hall sign at the entrance.

12.5 JR Wished to highlight the work being done by PH and JK in the hall for which the Committee and users should be extremely grateful. All agreed.

12.6 Agreed that the cleaner should be presented with a bouquet of flowers in recognition of the Committee’s appreciation for her commitment.

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

13.1 Sub Committee 3−15pm, Tuesday, 13th June

13.2 Full Committee 7pm, Wednesday, 16th August.

There being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 2120 hours

Comments by email welcome

info@whitestone-devon.org.uk