Whitestone Road sign

Whitestone Parish Council


Minutes of Whitestone Parish Council meeting held at Whitestone Parish Hall at 7.30pm on Thursday, 13th March 2014.

Attendance: Chairman − Councillor Mrs M Belt
Councillors L Hickman, D Munro, R Phillips, M Quinn, A Reed. Mrs B Bramhall (left at 8.15pm), S Heathcote (left at 8.30pm).
County Councillor J Brook (left after giving his report)
Mrs P Vaughan, Clerk to the Council
Mrs S Greenfield.

Apologies: Councillors Mrs P Fisher, P Nierop

The meeting was preceded by the March Draw for the 100 Club in support of the Parish Hall Development Fund. The lucky number was 80 belonging to Paul Harvey .

15. The Chairman opened the meeting and the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 13th February 2014 having been circulated were taken as read and signed as a true copy by the Chairman.


Grant of Conditional Planning Permission

16.1 13/01685/FUL Relocate access and associated new drive at Chants Cottage, Heath Cross.

Councillor Heathcote declared an interest in the following Notification of Appeal for Rebecca Springs.

16.2 Notification of Appeal against refusal of Outline Planning Permission for dwelling at Rebecca Springs, Nadderwater.

No comments were noted as these had been forwarded when the application was made in December 2013.


County Councillor Brook gave his report as he wished to leave early. He reported on the Devon County budget and mentioned the consultations that were being held with regard to Youth Services and Old Peoples’ Homes being passed to the private sector. Discussion took place regarding these issues and also with the situation regarding road repairs with Councillors passing on their views.


18.1 School Houses

Cllr Reed reported that Devon Sales and Lettings have now completed their Tenancy Agreements for the Houses and both he and Cllr Hickman had gone through them and all the Parish Council concerns have been noted and covered. It was resolved that these can now be presented to the tenants for signing. It was reported that the fan oven at No 1 has had to be replaced. It was noted that the electrical inspection for No 2 was now due and Devon Sales and Lettings would be obtaining prices for this and arrangements were being made for the Sweep to go back and check on the fireplace at No 1. Cllr Hickman raised some concerns and said that he hoped that the new tenancy agreements would clear up some minor issues that he had noted on a recent inspection. A vote of thanks was passed to Cllr Reed and Cllr Hickman for their contribution in this matter.

18.2 Electors Fund

Requests for applications for grants had been submitted by various organisations within the Parish and following discussion of these it was resolved, with one abstention, that an application from the Electors Fund be made for a Zoll AED Plus defibribrillator at a cost of £900. This would be based at the Parish Hall and the Parish Hall Management Committee has expressed the intention of taking the lead and offering specific training in its use, together with general CPR, to persons/groups so interested for the benefit of the parish.

18.3 Proposed Public Path Diversion Order Bridleway No 14

Notification of this was discussed and it was agreed that it would be an improvement for riders.

18.4 Crossway Park

Cllr Phillips reported that he and Cllr Fisher had inspected the equipment and he had noted that the Trim Trail was unsafe and a notice and tape had been placed saying that it should not be used. It was resolved that Cllr Phillips obtain some quotes and arrange for the repair work to be done. It had been reported that the chains on the swings were a risk and this is being investigated. The gate going into the play area is not closing and Cllr Munro will investigate this.

18.5 Footpath sign Parish Hall

Cllr Munro reported that he had mended this and a vote of thanks was given to him.

18.6 Nadderwater signs

These signs are still under investigation.

18.7 Drainage Survey

This report has been sent to the relevant department and Cllr Nierop has expressed his thanks to the Councillors and members of the public for their assistance in compiling this.

18.8 Litter Pick

Nierop requested the Clerk to ask for volunteers for a “Litter Pick” organised for Saturday 29th March 10am at the Parish Hall.

18.9 Request from Whitestone Parish Hall Committee for Rural Aid Grant

The Committee are undertaking a combined project for a suspended ceiling and cavity wall insulation at a cost of £2,206.75 of which they would pay £1,106.75 together with additional costs of minor electrical work and woodworm treatment. They are asking for an application to Rural Aid for the sum of £1,100 and it was resolved that this request be put in place.


Cllr Belt reported receipt of notification of a meeting/AGM of the Teignbridge Neighbourhood Watch Association to be held on 9th April 2014. At the present time there are no Neighbourhood Watch officers within the parish.



20.1 School Houses rents for March £1,425 − Letting Agency fees £136.80 (including £22.80 VAT) = £1,288.20


The following expenditure was proposed and seconded for payment. All in favour.

20.2 Whitestone Parish Hall Management Committee (March) £125

20.3 Whitestone Parish Hall Management Committee − hire of meeting room £7.50

20.4 Mr Dicker − shrub cutting at Crossway Park £64

20.5 Mr Joll − £33.99 (previous cheque granted in January lost in post)

20.6 Clerk’s expenses/quarterly salary £301.06


20.1Information received from Teignbridge District Council that they will be arranging the Rural Skip Service for Saturday 10th May 2014 at Hill Lane Junction from 10am to 4pm.

20.2Mr P Bartley wrote to say he had incurred no costs in carrying out the repairs to the pump at Nadderwater and the Councillors again reiterated thanks for the work he had done.

20.3 The resident at Merrymeet responded to a letter regarding the setting up of a dog walking/kennels business saying that owing to ill health she would not be carrying this venture forward and would be removing the website which had been set up to advertise this undertaking.

20.4 Whitestone Parish Hall Committee of Management reported that their AGM will be held in the Parish Hall at 7pm on Tuesday 6th May 2014 and requested the name of the person nominated to represent the Parish Council on the Committee for the 2014/15 year. It was resolved that Cllr Belt’s name should be put forward. It was noted that subsequent to the resignation of Mrs Hanson all booking enquiries for the Hall after 1st April should be made to Mrs P Fisher.


21.1 Potholes and subsidence were reported on the road to Oldridge (on the double bend), Church Cross to Trowbridge, Hill Lane (subsidence and potholes), Pound Lane (subsidence and potholes).

21.2 Cllr Hickman asked if the last bus which leaves Tedburn at 1853 could possibly stop to pick up within Whitestone Parish on way to Exeter − arriving at 1915. At the present time this bus does not stop but does pass through. The Clerk to contact Devon County.

21.3 Concerns were raised regarding the parking of vehicles in Merrymeet causing obstruction to residents.


Mrs Sheila Greenfield gave a very comprehensive update on the progress of the Parish Plan Steering Group. She stated that developing the questionnaire [which will be circulated to all parishioners], is fundamental to the Parish Plan process, and it has been a very iterative process. It has been important to word the questions in a clear, fair and unambiguous manner and in a way that would allow a relatively easy analysis of responses. The responses will then be taken forward to produce statistics and outcomes for the Final Plan and Action Plan. During development of the questionnaire, the Group has had supportive assistance from the Community Council for Devon, Teignbridge District Council and individual members of the Parish. Feedback from these parties has been very positive.

In answer to questions from Cllr Hickman she stated that she was reluctant at this stage, to give a specific timetable for the completion of the each of the various stages leading up to publication of the Final Plan. She was, however, happy to explain that the Group will be shortly sending the final version of the questionnaire off to be ‘converted’ from a physical questionnaire into a format that would also be suitable for operating over and being accessible via the internet. Both versions must preserve the respondent’s anonymity. The aim will be to allow parishioners to respond either via return of a completed paper questionnaire, or to send on-line response, if they prefer. She assured the meeting that the Group is taking all reasonable precautions to ensure that the whole exercise is worthwhile.

The Chairman thanked Mrs Greenfield for her report and the meeting closed at 9.20pm.