Whitestone Road sign

Whitestone Parish Council

Minutes of Whitestone Parish Council held at Whitestone Parish Hall at 7.30pm on Thursday 10th October 2019.

Attendance: Chairman – Councillor N Thom
Councillors M Belt, R Bramhall, V Bryant, L Fairley, P Lee, S Llewelyn, T Miles.
County Councillor A Connett, District Councillor A Swain
PC14655 Steve Hodges, Neighbourhood Beat Manager, D&C Police
Mrs P Vaughan, Clerk to the Council
Mr M Bishop, Mrs S Greenfield.

Apologies: Councillor D Jones.

  1. Cllr Thom opened the meeting and welcomed PC Hodges who gave interesting information and said that there was a need for people to report any incidents of crime on the website or by telephone as this was the only way in which the Police were made aware of problems occurring. Cllr Thom has reported that there had been problems with “egg throwing” within the parish and PC Hodges indicated that all these incidents should be reported. He said that there had been 28 crimes reported in the past 12 months but realised that there were probably more that had not been informed. He realised that speeding was a problem within the parish and said that signs within the parish are legal and enforceable. He is hoping that in the near future it will be possible to initiate a speed watch. Councillors and Mrs Greenfield asked some questions which he answered and he reinforced the need to report any antisocial behaviour. He left some information posters to be distributed around the Parish with contact details to make it easier to report crime.

Cllr Thom thanked PC Hodges for attending and he left at 8pm.

  1. Minutes of the Council Meeting held on Thursday 12th September 2019 having been circulated were taken as read and signed by the Chairman.

County Councillor Connett regretted that he has not yet been able to arrange the requested meeting with Devon County regarding the traffic issues but this would be done shortly.

District Councillor Swain had nothing to report.

  1. Planning Applications

The following planning applications were examined and discussed and the subsequent observations were confirmed to be relayed to Teignbridge District Council

69.1 19/01324/FUL Extension to existing garage at Ridgeway, Whitestone. There were no objections.

69.2 19/01473/MAJ Improvement of existing golf facilities and remodelling of the golf course along with change of use of existing land for siting of 25 self contained units of holiday accommodation at Fingle Glen Golf Club. Information had been received that Tedburn St Mary Parish Council had opposed this application and Whitestone Councillors fully support and concur with their comments. After discussion it was confirmed that this Parish oppose the application with the reservation that this is in an area of great landscape value which is totally in opposition to the Teignbridge District Council Policy.

Grant of Conditional Planning Permission

 69.3 19/01482/FUL Two storey side extensions and replacement windows and doors at Brook Cottage, Nadderwater.

County Councillor A Connett and District Councillor A Swain and Mr Bishop left the meeting at 8.35pm.


 70.1 Speeding through Whitestone

A meeting is being arranged with Devon County Council Highways to request taking the matter further.

70.2 Defibrillator

It was confirmed that a fresh set of pads for the defibrillator based at the Parish Hall is needed. The Clerk has investigated that these can be ordered through Defib Pad Company at a cost of £76,50 plus VAT and the meeting resolved that this should be done.

70.3 School Houses

The Clerk was instructed to contact Carter Geering to request proposed rentals for School Houses in 2020.

70.4 Local Plan

The Council will have to formulate input into the Teignbridge Local Plan in November.

70.5 Crossway Park

Cllr Fairley reported that the rust on the new equipment as reported at the September meeting is being dealt with.

Cllr Belt had obtained some information and prices and suggested that the Council should purchase some novelty litter bins for the Park which would encourage children to use them. It was agreed that the “Green Frog” would make a good recycling bin and after discussion Cllr Miles volunteered to investigate purchasing it at a discount.

70.6 Devon Association of Local Councils AGM and Conference – 23rd October

It was reported that both Cllr Belt and Cllr Miles will be attending.

70.7 Proposed Council Office

Discussion took place regarding the advisability of there being an office in the Parish Hall which would be open for a stated time each month to allow parishioners to come with any problems arising. Cllr Bramhall will bring proposals regarding the setting up of this to the November meeting.

70.8 Parish Warden

Cllr Thom will be bringing forward proposals regarding the implementation of taking on a self employed person to tender for this position. A proposition and budget requirement will be brought to the November meeting.

70.9 Quarterly Budget update

The second quarterly budget had been updated on the 9th October and having been distributed will be published.

70.10 Asset Register

The Asset Register had now been completed by the Clerk and Cllr Bramhall requested the Clerk to make some alterations to the document provided.


Cllr Thom reported that the dog bins have now been approved for moving. Having asked for suggestions regarding usage of the BT phone boxes various ideas will be discussed.


72.1 Bank Balance at Nat West at 30th September 2019

Current A/c


Business Reserve A/c 1


Business Reserve A/c 2




72.2 Teignbridge District Council – half year precept £3,050.00

72.3 1 School Houses rent to 30th October 2019 £725 - £69,60 (includes £11.60 VAT) = £655.40

72.4 2 School Houses rent to 1st November 2019 £800.00 – £76.80 (includes £12.80 VAT) = £723.20


The following expenditure was proposed and seconded for payment. All in favour and the cheques were signed by Councillors Belt and Miles.

72.5 Clerk’s expenses £15.42

72.6 Donation to Royal British Legion £25.00


73.1 Notification from the Whitestone Parish Hall Committee that charges for hire of the Hall will be raised from January 2020.

73.2 It was reported that Town and Parish Councils across Devon are being encouraged to join a tree planting initiative and this was passed to Cllr Fairley. The Council will seek to get six trees to plant in Crossways Park.

73,3 The Clerk passed the list of grit bins to Cllr Thom who volunteered to check these so that the information can be passed to Devon County. Cllr Belt reported that the bin at Top Steps is missing.


74.1 Cllr Bryant reported that there are Poppy Wreaths already at St Catherines Church which would be made available for the Service on Remembrance Sunday. It was resolved that a donation of £25 be sent to British Legion in lieu of purchasing a new Wreath.

74.2 It was reported that the fingerpost at Waddledown Cross is missing and the Clerk was instructed to report this.

74.3 Cllr Miles reported on attending the Highways Conference on 4th October and gave a report.

74.4 Cllr Belt asked if it was possible to lower the kerb for the disabled entry into the playpark and Cllr Thom indicated that he will investigate this.

74.5 Cllr Lee wished special note to be made of the request from PC Hodges that all criminal incidents should be reported.

The meeting closed at 9.44pm

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held at 7.30pm on Thursday 14th November 2019